Monday, September 5, 2011

You CAN go Home Again.

You know that saying, "You Can't go Home Again"? Well, I think it's just wrong; then again, I'm fortunate enough to have a wonderful, loving family to go home to. I loved going home last year because I got homesick, wanted my own room, etc. But this year, I love going home because it's keeps me grounded. As I said in my previous post, this year so far has been rough. I like to be constantly busy (believe it or not it keeps my anxiety down), but here in Athens I let myself get so caught up in being the best RA I could be and getting great grades, and getting more involved in SAO that I forgot about what's truly important in my life. I sat in almost 3 hours of traffic on Friday which only added to my stress, but the closer and closer I got to my house I found I had to force myself to watch my speed because I just wanted to be home. Walking into my house I literally felt like I let out a breath I'd been holding for a month. Smelling the smell of my house and seeing the familiar pictures and grandfather clock just made me want to melt. Then up walked G in his "Georgia Grandpa" shirt that he put on because I was coming home. I felt like the moment I hugged my mom everything just flooded away. I didn't want to leave today because I knew I'd walk back into my crazy life. Who knew going home would be a vacation? Alas, I'm back in my room at UGA, grateful to be alive after the scariest drive of my life to get here. But as I drove in through the tornado sirens thinking I was going to die, I couldn't help but worry about my residents and if they would know what to do when the sirens went off. I called another RA and asked her to check on my girls. I know this is where I'm supposed to be in my life. I love my residents, and I pray for them endlessly, I want them to succeed, I want them to make friends, join clubs, tell me how their day is, and more. But, I still miss my Mommy. It's easier to come back to UGA from home as a sophomore than it was as a freshman, but I think I appreciate my home much more now than  I did then.

You Can go Home Again...

No comments:

Post a Comment