What does the world say about beauty?
You must be thin to beautiful.
You must wear make up to be beautiful.
Glasses are not pretty.
Your hair must be done "just so" to be beautiful.
Celebrities are beautiful. (even though they have air brushing, personal trainers, personal nutritionists, and photoshop)
What you look like on the outside is most important.
Having the right clothes and accessories makes you beautiful.
If people don't like you, you're probably not very pretty.
If a boy, or girl, doesn't pay attention to you, it's because you're not pretty enough.
Now, I don't know about you, but I've met what I think are some insanely beautiful people throughout my life. However, the second they open their mouths and say something cruel or do something cruel, their beauty instantly goes away. On the other hand, I've met some relatively "pretty" people in my life, but through their conversation and actions they become incredibly beautiful because of their beautiful hearts. Every time I see somehow do a kind deed or say something nice, a transformation takes place and they become more and more beautiful. And here's what I've realized: God doesn't create ugly things. What He creates, He loves. He creates beauty, and pure beauty at that. He loves what He creates. God, the Creator of the universe, Creator of life, the heavens and the earth, the One who decides when the sun rises and sets, created YOU. You must be pretty special if such a busy guy was able to create you and know the amount of hairs on your head!
Now here's what the Bible says about beauty:
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
- Psalm 139: 14
"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
- 1 Samuel 16:7
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised."
- Proverbs 31:30
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."
- 1 Peter 3:3-4
What's the emphasis in all of this?
A beautiful heart.
Now if that same Creator who made you values inward beauty over outward beauty, why do we not do the same? God cares about what's on your heart, and how those values influence your thoughts and actions. What will you do with that heart He's given you? What will you do with that body He's given you? Will you use it to His good purpose, or allow these worldly values to get to you? I'm not saying we should eat a bunch of junk food and never exercise, the Bible also says that our bodies are temples and are meant to be treated well, but we cannot put all of our focus there. God loves us just the way we are.
Smile, God loves you!
No comments:
Post a Comment