One of my favorite days of the year here at UGA came and went this last week: the day when the Bible Men come. If you are a UGA student/faculty/staff member, you know exactly who I'm talking about. These men are older, in their 60s maybe, and come to the school one morning each semester and pass out New Testament Bibles with Psalms and Proverbs. They stand on essentially every corner and simply ask if you'd like a Bible. What kills me is the reaction they're given...one of rudeness, crudeness, disrespect, and sometimes pure meanness. It kills me because these are many people who say they are Christians that react this way. One girl in one of my English classes said, "I mean, I'm a Christian and all, but I love to just take the Bible, give it back to them, and watch the reaction on their faces. They thrust it on me so I thrust it back." Seriously? She lost me at "Christian and all," what is "all" anyway? I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean you "thrust" a Bible back in an older man's face. It just kills me.
Sometimes these people could be referred to as "lukewarm" Christians. I'm guilty of it too sometimes; we all are. You say you're a Christian, but do you truly know the impact of Christ in your life? Do you know what it's really like to be redeemed, forgiven, favored, blessed, adopted, and chosen (another thing I got from Moore's book)? I think if you really did, you would appreciate these men more. You gladly watch and take the flyers from the Indian, Muslim, Atheist, Jewish, etc. groups, and you laughingly and jokingly take the condoms they hand out on Sexual Health days. I'm not saying anything against taking flyers from the above, if I have a right to talk about what I believe in a public setting they sure as anything do as well. I'm just asking if you're truly thinking about what you're doing when you choose to avoid eye contact when these men ask you if you would like a pocket sized Bible.
Another thing I hear: "I appreciate what they're doing, but they're everywhere." Guess what? God's everywhere. It may be annoying that they stand on every corner and you get offered a little green Bible every 5 minutes, but all you have to do is say "no, thank you," or "I already got one, thanks." Is that so hard? I bet if it was Jesus standing on every corner you'd think differently. And the truth? They're doing Christ's work standing on that corner in their Sunday best on a rainy Tuesday morning, so in a way they ARE Christ standing on that corner. Another thing, they're giving you the key to your salvation. The New Testament, the New Covenant... that little green book contains every answer, every promise, every single thing you need to hear and more. It contains endless pages of the greatest love you've ever known. It offers forgiveness, something we all need on a minute-by-minute basis. But instead, we look down, avoid eye contact, and keep walking.
We've all also seen the man that stands at Tate Plaza with a megaphone telling us all that we're condemned to hell because we go to college and are surrounded by liberal thinking, sex, alcohol, and the media. Well now, that's not the God I know, and although our sin could ultimately not bring us to heaven, I know that as soon as you've accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior you pretty much know you'll be headed for some golden gates once this earthly life is over. These men aren't that man. They smile, say "good morning" and "have a wonderful day." Soooo aggressive I know (not).
I guess this is just another instance that brings out the hypocrisy of Christianity, not necessarily that we're the hypocrites, but if word got out that a devout Christian ever treated someone of another religion that way, it would just be another example of how elitist we believe we are, how superior our God says we are, etc...which is so far from the truth and the above is full of ignorance, but it's the cold, hard truth.
I enjoy seeing these older men around campus because they remind me that God is everywhere and that God is love. They really could change someone's life simply by handing them a pocket sized book. God's word changes lives; His unending love changes lives- and these men represent them. My prayer is that these men do not get discouraged and that they are treated better with each visit they make to this campus and every campus they visit. This campus needs more love, that's for sure, and it certainly needs more God...but that's the thing...He IS love, and there is no escaping that.
Oh praise the one who paid my debt!
Smile, God loves you! (yes, you, no matter what lies Satan has put in your head. God loves you and there is nothing you can do to stray from that love. He will always love you. Romans 8:38 tells us that. Sorry for this, I just felt like someone reading this might need that : ])
"Yet [Abraham] did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised." - Romans 5:20-21
No comments:
Post a Comment