Sunday, October 14, 2012

Perfection in Weakness

So I know this is like my second post in a few days, but stay with me, this is a message I think we could all benefit from hearing. The last few days have been rough for me...I was doing really well and then I just snapped and cried forever about things going on in my life (thank goodness for good friends who love me despite my insanity and will listen to my irrational crying fits and love me, and for a mommy who always listens!) Anyway, I told my mom last night on the phone that I just feel like God has forgotten about me. I comprehend that this isn't true, but convincing my brain to truly believe it is difficult: I see little things getting answered in my life, and I see doors being opened, but some days I don't feel like I'm any less depressed, some days I just think He forgets about the big things in my life that occupy the majority of my time and thoughts. My mom reminded me that God tells us He will never forget us, but this weekend I spent a lot of time being angry with God, and believe me, I told Him about it. 

Then this morning at church...

The basis of the sermon came out of 2 Corinthians 11 and 12, and the pastor pointed out that God delights in our weaknesses. And when you first think about it, that's really twisted, right? Gee, thanks, we're all sitting here struggling and you're delighting in my struggle. But then the pastor asked a question..."How often would you talk to God if you weren't struggling with the depression, the money struggles, the health problem, the intellectual issues, your social fears, feelings of inadequacy, etc.? How often would He hear from you? Is this issue in your life your main 'lifeline' with God?" WOW. Think about that for a minute. If you're like me then you're answer is, embarrassingly, well, I'd probably only talk to him about 1/4 of what I do now. And let's be honest, that's just plain sad. But the question wasn't posed to make us ashamed of ourselves, but it was asked to humble us. And it is SO humbling. It's in my weaknesses, and there are many, that I cling to my faith because there is nothing else in this world. It's in weakness that I get on my knees and have open communication with God. It's in my weakness that I look at everything in terms of His hand being on it because I want to truly see Him in my life. So, in truth, weakness is pretty darn powerful. And then I reflect on my life, when have I been closest with God? In times when I was deeply upset, when I couldn't see a way out, and when, for lack of a better term, I was quite miserable with myself. So I guess God is training me, and all of us, to remember that He isn't just there in our weakness. When we're ready He'll change it, He will answer us, but it will only happen when we're ready to pray to Him in all things, and not just in times of trouble. So join me in [the attempt] to wait patiently. 

Let's pray together:
Oh Heavenly Father we thank you for messages like this- messages that show us that in true pain YOU are revealed, that when it feels like there is nothing left there is GOD and JESUS. We pray Jesus is glorified in the pain, for none of us has or will ever experience the true pain He did when He gave His life for sinners like us. We pray we remain thankful for our weaknesses. We pray we can be a mirror and simply reflect your love and help hold others up when they feel they have nothing left, because we've been there and have seen what Your love can do. Let us be grateful for weakness; let us delight in it as you do. 
In Jesus' name, Amen. 

Smile, God loves you.

"If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness." 
- 2 Corinthians 11:30

"I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses." 
- 2 Corinthians 12:5

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in my weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
- 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 

No comments:

Post a Comment