Monday, October 6, 2014

Why "I don't have time to read" isn't an excuse.

As a Language Arts teacher, I push my kids every day because reading isn't seen as "cool" in our culture anymore. I hear "I hate reading," "reading is dumb," "I just can't get into it," and the like every day. I guess I was a nerd, but I can remember exchanging books and talking about books in high school. We would talk about books before school in the cafeteria and after school. My best friends and I would give books that "spoke" to us to each other as gifts. Sadly, this doesn't really happen anymore. 

And no, it isn't just because books are on tablets and apps. The real issue: the adults in kids' lives aren't reading anymore.

I came from a privileged home, there is no doubt about that. Both of my parents had college degrees, and my father had a law degree. My grandma also had her associate's degree which, in 1940, wasn't very common for the "average" woman. Add to that fact that I'm white and middle class, so I recognize that I was privileged. I've read articles and seen first hand the effects it has on a child's education when their parents are college educated- it usually means there are more books in the house. 

My students have been challenged to read 12 books each this semester and we track their progress on poster boards with sticky dots. I have some students who haven't been able to finish a book, and one student that I have to take books away from so that student will complete their work during class. Out of 122 students, we've totaled over 400 books before the end of the first quarter! I am so proud of them.

Last year I watched in awe as Allisa challenged our students to read 12 books and saw students read through the things happening in their lives. I teach in a more affluent area, so the enthusiasm and support I get from home is much different than last year, but I realized that I read more last year than I probably have any other year of my life. Between August and April, I read 38 books. I remembered again what a coping mechanism that was, so of course I assumed I could keep up that reading pace this year.

WRONG.

I got busy between IEPs, grading, parent communication, meetings, making copies, getting to know my coworkers, trying to find a church, and so much more. I realized I've only read about 4 books so far. I caught myself saying that I didn't have "time" to read. And then I thought about it...

How dare we, as adults, call this upcoming generation lazy and unmotivated, especially as it comes to literacy, if we won't set an example?

We all know the expression, "monkey see, monkey do," yet we tell these kids to "do as I say, not as I do." How can I tell my students to read 10 or so pages every night if I'm not doing it myself. Yes, in reality, I have a lot more to do than my students, but it's all relative. They're overwhelmed by their school work and extra curricular activities and social lives, so asking them to read 10 pages seems like a lot to them, even though it may sound like nothing to me. No, I don't have children which is a whole other kind of busy, but I watch as my sisters have kids and they still read their own books. I vividly remember the stacks of books on my parents' nightstands and my dad sitting on the back deck with a book in hand. My mom often found solace from the insanity of 4 daughters by sitting on her bed and reading for 20 minutes. 

We, as adults, cannot call this generation lazy because they don't read because we aren't reading ourselves. 

I've asked my colleague's to stop saying "I don't have time to read" in front of our kids. That's not enough though- just because I don't say it doesn't mean I don't think it. Yes, I'm overwhelmed by work. I feel like I'm treading water just trying to keep my head afloat and not drown in the craziness. I just stress-cleaned my bathroom because I couldn't turn my mind off for 5 minutes. 

We've got to change how we think. I bet, if we really tried, we could find 15 minutes a day to read a book. I flipped through pages while I got my oil changed today and will read a few more before I fall asleep. 

The truth is, if we stop reading, so will those who look up to us. And if they stop reading...well, we're all kind of doomed, and they will become the lazy and unmotivated generation that they're predicted to be.

Please, never stop reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment