Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Hands

Allisa (my Mentor Teacher) and I do this thing with our kids called "powerful line writing" where we listen to a song or a piece of spoken word poetry and have the kids pick a powerful from the piece. They are then instructed to write the powerful line at the top of the page and then write about why that line is powerful. Our goal with this type of writing is for students to just write. There is no length requirement and what the kids write is completely self-generated. The kids turn these in and they go in their writing folders. Rarely do we grade them, but we do always read them, and let me say, I'm always humbled by what these kids write. We want to show them that writing can be therapeutic, and you often end with something you didn't have in mind when you started. The Common Core leaves little room for narrative writing, but one of the standards is to "write routinely over time" and so that's where our little powerful line exercise comes in. 

Anyway, I got to pick the spoken word poem we did last week, and Sarah Kay is one of my favorites. (For those of you who are not familiar with spoken word, here is Wikipedia's definition.) I chose Sarah Kay's poem, "Hands," having no idea how much it would resonate with me. 

To watch Sarah Kay's "Hands," go here. I also suggest you watch some of her other poetry, too. 

I've thought a lot about this poem and the notions Kay presents in "Hands," and realized just how hand-oriented my family is. When I think about my grandma, the one thing I remember most vividly about her, other than the faint tick, tick of her pacemaker, is her hands. I remember her long fingernails that were always well groomed and how often she yelled at me for my dirty ones. She was always doing something with her hands: sewing, doing dishes, polishing silver, folding laundry, baking, cooking. One Christmas after she died I tried to make her famous pie crusts and while I was squishing the Crisco into the cup like she'd shown me, it was like her hands replaced my own. I looked down and saw her fingernails and her knuckles wrinkled with age. I remember standing back for a moment and looking at my hands to make sure they were my own. Her hands were the ones that rubbed my temples for over an hour when I had my first migraine at 11; the hands that patiently scraped shampoo out of my carpet when I spilled over half a bottle in my room; the hands that sat over a sewing machine for hours on end fixing my dance costumes or hemming pants; the hands that made my lunch each day with just the right amount of peanut butter to jelly ratio; the hands that clapped elegantly at every softball game and dance recital, and the hands that baked so many batches of cookies and cakes and pies that I couldn't count. I miss those hands.

And I think about G's hands. Grandpa's funeral was this past Saturday, and it was a hard day. I really haven't given myself time to cry- I try to stay busy so that the grief can't catch up with me, but we all know that at some point it does. Saturday was hard...really hard. I miss Grandpa so much, so much that my heart aches to have him back. I've been really angry lately- another stage of grief. I've found it hard to pray. It's not that I'm angry at God, I'm just angry at the way things work. I'm angry that life works the way it does and that people have to leave. I know that in time my heart will soften again and allow myself to hear God's faint whisper, but I'm angry right now, and that's OK.

Anyway, when I was driving back to Athens on Sunday I thought about G's hands. His hands that nursed people back to help as a navy corpsman in WWII; the hands that diligently washed chocolate out of the couch with me so that Grandma wouldn't know we both ate it before dinner when she told us not to; the swollen, arthritic knuckles from years spent hand-washing and peeling potatoes at his fast food restaurant, Jif Jiffy; the hands that build my wooden doll house piece by piece; hands that fixed every broken glass, every broken Christmas ornament; hands that figured out how to fix broken plumbing, that planted flowers and tomato plants; hands that laid each brick that lines the garden in our backyard; hands that diligently cleaned the stove when it had burn marks from Mom cooking for 14+ people each night; hands that in the last few years gripped a cane to aid his walking; hands that tickled just a little too hard, but left his grandkids and great grandkids giggling nonetheless; and hands that would grab my shoulder reassuringly, always letting me know that it would be OK. 

When I think about G's hands, I think about the last moments I spent with him. He asked Courtney and I to cut his fingernails. A man of 92, whose hands had done more than I could ever imagine in his lifetime, finally came to the moment when he couldn't cut his own nails. This was 3 days before he died. At the time I did it while thinking his nails were kind of gross. After all, he'd been bed ridden for almost two weeks at this point- he couldn't wash his hands. I was struck at how swollen his hands were from his lack of dialysis. I look at cutting his nails right now and am humbled. G hated not being able to do things for himself. He yelled "ouch" once because I got too close to the skin, but then laughed after I apologized. When I finished cutting his nails he looked at me so humbly with those clear-blue eyes and said, "thanks, Vic." 

Sarah Kay argues that hands tell a story, and I know they do. Every wrinkle in G's hands tells of the time he spent doing things that we take for granted- washing dishes, polishing silver, fixing a broken toy, car, or pipe, flipping pages of a newspaper, driving, brushing his teeth, playing with his kids, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Every wrinkle had its own unique story. 

Grandpa's hands were the one that taught me how to tie up a chicken to put on the rotisserie, how to check the oil in a car, how to screw in a light bulb, how to superglue something together without getting your hands glued together, or how he taught me the right way to squeeze the juice out of a grapefruit. I still feel his hand on my shoulder as he walked by or how many times he'd see my bare feet on the couch and walk by and tickle them, telling me to put socks on because I was making him cold. I see his hands giving me a reassuring squeeze each time I was upset or angry. Oh what I would give to feel that reassuring squeeze on my shoulder or arm. I would give anything to feel that gentle squeeze again. 

Oh G, you are sorely missed. I know you're in Heaven now with your beautiful wife looking down on all of us with a smile. My only comfort comes in knowing I'll see you again some day and you can squeeze my shoulder again and tell me that it will all work out in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment