Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sigma Alpha Omega

As I reflect on formal last night, my heart swells with love for my sisters. Now, if you know me, you know I'm not quite the "sorority girl" type. And let me say, from having so many friends in Panhellenic sororities, that stigma is only true about 15% of the time. Anyway, I never thought I'd join a sorority in college. Like ever. Having 3 sisters I always said I grew up in a sorority house and never would join one in college. However, when people first met me and I tell them I'm in a Christian sorority and didn't go through Panhellenic Recruitment, they're surprised. And honestly, I think people on peg me as a "sorority girl" because of my hair, but oh well. Anyway, as I've stated on here previously, I didn't want to come to UGA. And those first few weeks at school were rough. SAO just seemed to fall from the sky and into my lap, but let's be real, we know it was sent straight from God. 

My friend, Robin, told me about SAO and said we should go to an event during their recruitment. Please also keep in mind that at this time I wasn't totally sure about my faith. I had been saved and believed in Jesus as Lord, but I didn't really talk about it and I didn't full comprehend His all-consuming fire. So I went to a service event, and I wasn't completely hooked. Then a few nights later I went to the Worship Night that occurs ever year during recruitment and was so impressed by the sisters who made me feel welcome. I walked into the Chapel and the Holy Spirit overwhelmed me. I saw the beauty in each and every girl in there, and I felt God planting a seed in my heart. Little did I know how much that seed would grow. That night I also sat behind and met the girl who would become my big sis, Ansley, and little did I know how much that relationship would blossom. I was still pretty weary, but then I received a phone call that would ultimately change the course of my college career. Jackie called me and said that she, Andrew, and Kristy had spoken and wanted me to do it. Jackie said she had prayed about it and felt that it was what I was supposed to do and that the three of them would give me the first semester's dues for SAO. God does things in the strangest ways.

I also had no idea that on our New Member Retreat I would meet 2 of my 3 best friends in SAO. So I went through the Recruitment process and got initiated. My love for SAO bloomed and blossomed over the next year and a half, but my real love for it happened this summer.

When Bobby and I broke up, I was showered with love from my sisters. As that situation brought up a lot of pain from my past surrounding my dad and grandmother's death, and it brought so much brokenness to the surface, I would not have gotten through it without my sisters. Three of my best friends are my sisters, and they gave me some really tough love as I combed through my issues. They forced me to talk about it so they could pray for me. They refused to allow me to keep to myself and fall into a path of self-destruction. I would not have made it through without them. Not to mention my incredible big sis. It's funny how we didn't get close until after she graduated, but God does not make mistakes. And my sisterhood as a whole, my word!

God really pushed me at the beginning of this year to get to know other sisters, and I've challenged myself to do that, and it could not be a more rewarding experience. I realized it last night at formal as I jumped from group to group dancing the night away. And I hold a leadership position...wait what? At that service night over two years ago I never would have thought I'd be a leader. I didn't know any scripture, I didn't know what a true personal relationship with Christ was, but He does amazing things. Even a year ago I never would have thought I'd serve on the Executive Board, but I do, and I love it. Although it's stressful and we deal with some pretty tough situations, I'm learning the importance of handling every situation with grace and having to ask myself very often "what would Jesus do?" I've fallen many times on this path of salvation, and sometimes I felt like I'd fallen into a hole of sin that I could never climb out of. At times where I felt I was digging deeper and deeper into a hole that was so far from the surface that I'd never make it back up, a hand from one of my sisters would reach down to help me climb out of that hole. 

I have an army of believers behind me at all times. Wow. Just, wow. When I fall to the sins of this darkened world, I have sisters in Christ who will keep me accountable. And when I fall, I fear no judgement from them, because they love me as Jesus does. They give me Godly advice about how to handle a situation, and they pray for me, and with me. I know I'm never alone in my struggles because, more often than not, they're struggling with the same thing(s). I thank the good Lord for my incredible sisters. I've learned that a relationship with God means a daily surrendering of your heart. Creating disciples of many nations does not mean pushing the Bible on someone or preaching to them. My sisters have taught me that the greatest influence you can have on a person is my setting a good example of what a Godly life looks like. You are vulnerable with your struggles and always point the glory to God. You can make the greatest impact by allowing His light to shine through you so brightly that others want to draw nearer to you to know what that is. He is good.

So to my beautiful, incredible, Godly sisters of Christ reading this, I love you. 

Commit to the Dove.

Smile, God loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment