I don't know why TV shows always seem to elicit big thoughts...but I guess that just shows what a TV junkie I am. So, watching One Tree Hill on Netflix, I watched the episode where a student brings a gun into a school. He wounded one, and shot himself. When we were little, we were all taught the expression, "stick and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me." But oh how false this expression is. Words do hurt, and any human being can tell you they do. Now, throughout my years of schooling I faced the "mean girl," the "bully," or the rumors, but what about when I was the mean girl? When I was a bully? What about when I gave into the rumors, and even spread them? I am guilty of, at times, using my words to hurt others. Now, I regret my words and actions, and I've asked for forgiveness from God, and I can only pray that those people I've hurt have forgiven me, as I've forgiven those that hurt me.
So, in this episode, the kid brings a gun to school mostly because no one ever talked to him. He eventually grew apart from his friends, and felt all alone in the world: a different kind of heart break. Even though I faced mean people, I was, and still am, fortunate to have a family that I can be honest with. Now, in this TV show, this student lied to his mom and told her it was OK. I'm not a parent, so I cannot speak for this woman, but I pray, I pray that my niece and nephews, and eventually my children, will never have to pretend like everything is OK. I pray that as an aunt, and as a parent, that I can know these children well enough to know when they're happy. The student in the TV show also said that no one, not even a teacher, would utter a word to him at school for weeks at a time. So, of course this got me thinking about being an educator...
I have now set a new goal for myself: to say hello, or even smile, at each and every student I can. I had a teacher in high school named Coach Bettis, he taught AP US History, and every Friday was "handshake Friday", and as we left the room, we were to shake his hand and he told us to have a good weekend. Looking at this from the perspective of a future teacher, I think this was awesome. Each student in his class got to know that they were worthy of a handshake. And I think that for someone who felt left out, knowing that a teacher spoke to you and thought you were important, even just for a moment, is a good thing. As a future educator, I hope that my students never feel like I don't care, because I will. I hope to have my own "handshake Friday," or something of the sort. I still believe that although it may not seem like one person can change the world, they can change someone's world, and as a teacher, I hope to be an influence in someone's world. I hope to let them know that they are not alone, even though it seems like the world is against them. I pray I can accomplish these goals, to help those hurtful words come with a little less pain.
No comments:
Post a Comment